Job Advertisement – Canteen Supervisor
Ballymena Academy, established in 1828, is a successful and forward-looking, co-educational, non-denominational Voluntary Grammar School with an enrolment of 1200 pupils, including more than 300 pupils in Sixth Form.
We are currently seeking a Canteen Supervisor who will be responsible to the Board, under the direction of the School Principal and Corporate Services Manager, for the profitable management and operation of the school canteen. The successful candidate will be expected to work under their own initiative to ensure the delivery of an efficient and effective catering service within the School, while supervising and directing approximately 20 staff.
The person appointed to this post must demonstrate by means of their application form, how they meet the following criteria. These criteria may be further enhanced for shortlisting purposes.
- NVQ Level 2 in Catering or City & Guilds 706-2 or equivalent or a higher relevant qualification.
- Basic Food and Hygiene Certificate or equivalent (attained within the last 3 years) or appropriate refresher training.
- A minimum of 3 years’ catering experience in a similar environment, producing nutritionally balanced meals.
- Minimum of GCSE A*-C in Mathematics and English Language or level 2 equivalent.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation with regard to Food Hygiene, Health and Safety and Government initiatives.
- Knowledge of culinary skills.
- Organisational and administrative skills to incorporate customer relations.
- Effective leadership and people management skills to successfully motivate, manage and develop a team.
- Willingness to undertake job related training.
- NVQ 3 in Catering.
- Intermediate Hygiene Certificate.
- Supervisory Management.
- Foundation Certificate in Nutrition.
- Experience in the supervision of staff.
- Good IT skills.
- Knowledge of a school biometric system.
- Experience in stock control.
- Effective planning, organisation and decision-making skills.
- Ability to promote and develop the catering service to our children and young people.
- Experience of delivering training.
- A good record of punctuality and attendance in any previous employment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to lead a team.
- Clean/tidy appearance.
- Ability to work with children and adults in a professional manner.
- Dynamic and pro-active.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to work under pressure.
Hours of work:
37.5 hours per week – Monday to Friday, 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., times may be negotiated.
NJC pts 12– 17; £24,496 – £26,845 per annum.
Friday 25th August, 2023 at 12.00 noon.
Further information on this role and an application pack are available below.
The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Access NI check. The successful applicant will not be able to commence employment until this check has been successfully completed.
We reserve the right to enhance the aforementioned criteria in the event of an unprecedented response in order to facilitate shortlisting.