Job Advertisement – Science Technician
Science Technician Grade 2
Ballymena Academy, established in 1828, is a successful and forward-looking, co-educational, non-denominational Voluntary Grammar School with an enrolment of 1200 pupils, including more than 300 pupils in Sixth Form.
We are currently seeking a Science Technician who will provide technical support and assistance to staff in the implementation of the school’s/department’s educational programme.
The person appointed to this post must demonstrate by means of their application form, how they meet the following criteria. These criteria may be further enhanced for shortlisting purposes.
- Minimum GCSE A*-C in Mathematics and English Language or level 2 equivalent.
- GCSE Grade A*-C in GCSE Science or other level 2 equivalent.
- Good ICT skills, organisational skills and interpersonal skills.
- Proven effective people management skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Sound ability in ICT including confident use of Word and Excel
- Hold a minimum of ‘A’ Level Biology/Chemistry/Physics grade A*-E.
- Hold a third level qualification in a Science subject.
- Experience of using Microsoft Word, Excel and email.
- A minimum of 3 months’ experience working as a Science Technician in a school.
- A good record of attendance in any previous employment.
- Experience of working unsupervised on own initiative.
- Knowledge of the requirements of Technician 2.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety regulations and requirements in a school environment.
- Knowledge of general administrative processes and records
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team and contribute to areas beyond the work of the Science department.
- Good record of punctuality and attendance.
- References reflecting good communication and social skills.
- Able to work with children and adults in a professional manner.
- Ability to work under pressure to strict deadlines.
- Flexibility, confidentiality, approachability.
Hours of work: 30 hours per week, times to be negotiated.
Salary: Technician 2 | NJC pts 5 – 6 | £19,312 – £19,698 per annum pro rata.
Closing Date: Monday 22nd November at 12.00 noon.
The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Access NI check. The successful applicant will not be able to commence employment until this check has been successfully completed.
We reserve the right to enhance the aforementioned criteria in the event of an unprecedented response in order to facilitate shortlisting.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer