Wholeschool Portal | Home 22 July 2017
 History
    The way it was...

Mr. W. Cameron has kindly made the following photographs available:

The Thomas Street site with tennis court in the foreground


 Ballymena Academy, Thomas Street 

Anothe view of the Thomas Street School




The Assembly Hall, Thomas Street

  


The Thomas Street Art Room (left) and Chemistry Room 13 with Mr R J Kernohan'swriting on the board

The Thomas Street school Gymnasium and Gym Instructor Sergeant Browne



The playground horse and Sergeant Browne in the gym

 

Ballymena Academy, Staff and Governors, c. 1930

 

 Taken outside the chemistry laboratory about 1958 the photograph shows, from left to right:
Mr.Kernoghan, Mr. Allen, Miss Kyle, Mrs. Whitley, Miss Armstrong and Mr.Russell. (Photograph thanks to Mrs. Sloan nee Armstrong)
  

 

  

Also from about 1958
this photograph taken
at Guide Camp shows
Mr. Mol and Miss Armstrong.
(Photograph thanks to Mrs. Sloan nee Armstrong)

 


BallymenaAcademy1st XI, 1949 – 50

Standing: Mr. W.H. Mol, E. Blair, M.B. Brown, H.A. Calderwood, A.L. Ramsey, Miss M.J. Turner

 

Seated: M.P. Brown, L.M. Watt, M.E.J. Glass, E. Jamieson (Captain), A. Lynch, M.A.C. McKernan, H. Taggart.


BallymenaAcademy1st XV, 1949 – 50

Standing: Mr. R.W. Mitchell, W.G. Hamilton, A.H. Simpson, Mr. W.H. Mol, H.K. Graham, R.T.B. Gregg, Mr. A. Watt.

 

Seated:D.T.M. Calderwood, J.L. Sloan, A.H. Graham, T.A.M. Gregg (Captain),L.A.D. Graham, W.S. Holmes, J.G. McDowell, S. Millar, J. Kernoghan,J.K. Houston, N.B. Graham, J.I. Bill 
 

Morton'sHouse, Knocknanure - the site of the present school. The front door oftoday's school is approximately in the same position as the front doorof the old house 



The present school, c. 1972

 TheRev. Robert Matthews held office from 1829 to 1847 and for theremaining years of the century the school was in the hands of Rev.William Reeves, D.D.(1847-1858) and the Rev. Robert KingB.A.(1859-1900).

 In1896, the brothers Mr. W. A. Fullerton, B.A. and Mr. J. A. Fullerton,B.A. (assited shortly afterwards by Mr. T. Kirkpatrick, B.A.) openedthe Ballymena High School in High Street. Enrolment very quicklyoutstripped the premises. When Mr. King died in 1900, the Govenors ofthe Academy offered the vacant post of Headmaster to Mr. W. A.Fullerton, B.A.

 



Heclosed the high school and transferred his pupils to the Academy. Allthree of these gentlemen served the Academy until they retired morethan thirty years later

Thanks to Mr. Cameron for making these photographs available.
If you have any similar archive photographs that could be included in this section please contact the school at
info@balacademy.ballymena.ni.sch.uk